Several killed after strong quake strikes Italy, topples buildings
Updated: 2016-08-24 10:19
Rescuers work at a collapsed house following a quake in Amatrice, central Italy, Aug 24, 2016. [Photo/Agencies]
Here is a list of major earthquakes in Italy in the past century:
- Jan 13, 1915 - Some 32,600 are killed when an earthquake measuring 7.0 struck Avezzano in central Italy.
- July 27, 1930 - A quake measuring 6.5 strikes the region of Irpinia in southern Italy, killing around 1,400 people.
- May 6, 1976 - An earthquake measuring 6.5 rocks Friuli in Italy's northeastern corner, killing 976 people and leaving 70,000 others homeless.
- Nov. 23, 1980 - Some 2,735 people are killed and more than 7,500 injured in an earthquake measuring 6.5. The epicentre was at Eboli but damage was reported over a huge area towards Naples.
- Dec. 13, 1990 - Earthquake centred in the sea off Sicily kills 13 people and injures 200.
- Sept. 26, 1997 - Two earthquakes measuring 6.4 kill 11 people and cause serious damage to the Basilica of St Francis in Assisi, damaging priceless Medieval frescoes.
- July 17, 2001 - Earthquake measuring 5.2 shakes the northern Italian region of Alto Adige, killing one woman.
- Oct. 31, 2002 - An earthquake measuring 5.9 hits Campobasso, south-central Italy, killing 30 people, most of them children, in San Giuliano di Puglia.
- April 6, 2009 - A powerful earthquake strikes the Abruzzo area east of Rome. It kills more than 300 people and devastates the 13th century city of L'Aquila.
- May 29, 2012 - More than 16 people are killed and 350 injured in the second big earthquake to hit the area around Modena in northern Italy. An earlier quake nine days earlier killed nearly 10 people.
- China, Japan, S. Korea should work to make differences controllable
- Several killed after strong quake strikes Italy, topples buildings
- FM's Tokyo trip to help set trilateral G20 cooperation tone, source says
- DPRK's renovated central zoo attracts thousands of visitors every day
- Canadian PM to visit China
- UN Security Council slams deadly terrorist attack in Turkey
- Top 5 smartwatches in customer satisfaction
- Woman creates silk Chinese cabbage
- Panda family celebrate birthday in Malaysia
- Life of an underwater photographer
- Lakers confirms Yi Jianlian's signing
- Premier Li pays homage to Red Army martyrs
- 'Born in China' in Chinese paintings
- Goodbye, Rio; hello, Tokyo
Anti-graft campaign targets poverty relief
Cherry blossom signal arrival of spring
In pictures: Destroying fake and shoddy products
China's southernmost city to plant 500,000 trees
Cavers make rare finds in Guangxi expedition
Cutting hair for Longtaitou Festival
Today's Top News
Trump outlines anti-terror plan, proposing extreme vetting for immigrants
Phelps puts spotlight on cupping
US launches airstrikes against IS targets in Libya's Sirte
Ministry slams US-Korean THAAD deployment
Two police officers shot at protest in Dallas
Abe's blame game reveals his policies failing to get results
Ending wildlife trafficking must be policy priority in Asia
Effects of supply-side reform take time to be seen
Geared to go
The place to be