Super Bowl becomes 'US Lunar New Year Gala' in China
Updated: 2016-02-09 10:13
Beyonce performs during halftime of the NFL Super Bowl 50 football game in Santa Clara, California on February 7, 2016. [Photo/IC]
The NFL's championship extravaganza took place on Sunday, the same day when the Chinese celebrated the Lunar New Year's Eve, with state broadcaster CCTV's gala show having been a staple of celebrations since the 1980s.
Like the CCTV gala show, Super Bowl is a nation-wide celebration, with singers and dancers performing and usually scoring high TV viewing rate.
According to CCTV's statistics on Tuesday, the 2016 gala show attracted 690 million TV audience while a total of 1.03 billion people watched the TV show on various media including televisions, the Internet and social media.
- ASEAN wants good US-China relations
- Jury finds NYPD's Liang guilty in fatal shooting
- Major powers agree on plan to break Syria deadlock
- Munich Security Conference opens amid concerns
- General strike against pension reform brings Greece to standstill
- Madrid airport sounds alarm after bomb threat on Saudi plane