Missing 'brides', a hidden hurt for 'leftover' men
Updated: 2015-01-19 15:45
By Wu Yan(chinadaily.com.cn)
Guo Xianhui shows a photo of his missing Vietnamese 'bride' on a phone in Qianya village, Handan, North China's Hebei province, Dec 12. [Photo/CFP]
Despite an ongoing investigation by local police, the 100-plus households who went through a similar experience suspected that they were caught in a marriage fraud.
Xiaowu (alias), one of the missing Vietnamese "brides", returned to her "husband's" home alone. She told China Central Television that she was invited to have dinner on Nov 20 but lost consciousness. When she awoke she found herself in a dark room and was told she was to "marry" another husband. She refused and returned home before calling police on Nov 21.
- EU to appeal against court ruling that Hamas be removed from terrorist list: official
- UN chief urges immediate, full end to hostilities in East Ukraine
- Eurostar suspends services again due to fire
- Davos explores economic solution
- Russia marks 72nd anniversary of breakthrough of Leningrad
- The world in photos: Jan 12-18