Missing 'brides', a hidden hurt for 'leftover' men
Updated: 2015-01-19 15:45
By Wu Yan(chinadaily.com.cn)
Beisitou Village, Handan, North China's Hebei province, where several Vietnamese 'brides' went missing on the same day last year, Dec 12 2014. [Photo/CFP]
"Brides" of foreign nationalities running away is not unusual according to Chinese media. A similar case occurred on Oct 12, 2013, when seven Cambodian "brides" who lived in Jinyun county, East China's Zhejiang province disappeared on the same day.
According to a regulation relating to cross-cultural marriages issued in 1994, no marriage agency is allowed to broker marriage for foreigners. Individuals are also prohibited from making a profit from foreign matchmaking or carrying out marriage fraud.
- EU to appeal against court ruling that Hamas be removed from terrorist list: official
- UN chief urges immediate, full end to hostilities in East Ukraine
- Eurostar suspends services again due to fire
- Davos explores economic solution
- Russia marks 72nd anniversary of breakthrough of Leningrad
- The world in photos: Jan 12-18