Top 10 policy changes in China in 2015
Updated: 2015-12-28 07:05
Visitors walk at the Tian'anmen Square amid severe smog in Beijing on Dec 15. [Photo/IC]
Harsher environmental protection law
China's revised Environmental Protection Law came into effect on Jan 1, bringing with it heavier punishments.
According to the revised law, extra fines accumulating on a daily basis will be imposed on enterprises that fail to rectify violations.
Local officials may be demoted or sacked for misconduct, including the concealment of offenses, falsifying data, failing to publicize environmental data, and not giving closure orders to enterprises that illegally discharge pollutants.
- US-led air strikes kill IS leaders linked to Paris attacks
- DPRK senior party official Kim Yang Gon killed in car accident
- Former Israeli PM Olmert's jail term cut, cleared of main charge
- Japan, S. Korea reach deal on 'comfort women'
- More than 70 killed in Nigeria bombings, suicide attacks
- Argentina issues orange alert for heat wave