Beijing to play role in Afghan settlement
Updated: 2016-01-12 19:58
By Wang Qingyun(chinadaily.com.cn)
China is willing to play a constructive role in the reconciliation process of Afghanistan, said Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei on Tuesday.
Hong's comment came after officials from Pakistan, Afghanistan, China and the United States met in Islamabad on Monday and issued a joint statement calling for the Afghan government to start peace talks with Taliban immediately.
Chinese special envoy for Afghanistan Deng Xijun attended the meeting, where all four parties agreed to implement the consensus reached in the fifth foreign ministerial conference of the Istanbul Process held last year and push for a reconciliation process "led and owned by the Afghan people".
China regards the statement positively, and is willing to help on the precondition of respecting Afghan sovereignty and the will of various parties, the realization of long-term peace and stability in Afghanistan, said Hong.
- A glimpse of Spring Rush: little migrant birds on the way home
- Policy puts focus on genuine artistic students
- Police unravel market where babies are bought, sold as commodities
- More older pregnant women expected
- Netizen backlash 'ugly' Spring Festival Gala mascot
- China builds Mongolian language corpus
- 2 Chinese nationals killed, 1 injured in suspected bomb attack in Laos
- New York, Washington clean up after fatal blizzard
- 'Plane wreckage' found in Thailand fuels talk of missing Malaysian jet
- Washington shuts down govt, NY rebounds after blizzard
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap