Fan urges combat readiness, patrols to tackle urgency
Updated: 2016-07-20 15:50
By ZHANG YUNBI(chinadaily.com.cn)
Fan Changlong, vice-chairman of the Central Military Commission, called for strengthened combat readiness and well-organized naval and air patrols to "resolutely and properly tackle various emergencies" and safeguard border security.
Fan made the call during a recent inspection of the People's Liberation Army Southern Theater Command, the PLA Daily reported on Wednesday.
The PLA Southern Theater Command - one of the five national commands, the others cover Eastern, Central, Northern and Western China – has a defense umbrella guarding Chinese islands and reefs in the South China Sea.
Without specifying the exact date of the inspection, the PLA report noted that Fan visited troops of the PLA Navy, Air Force and Rocket Force and he "went to the forefront to inspect combat readiness facilities, weaponry and equipment as well as combat drills".
Fan said the security of the country "is faced with a complicated and serious situation", and he called for "promoting the capability of military responses and emergency-respond raids".
The military has been undertaking a range of drills in the South China Sea this month.
- Endangered elephants relocated by crane in Africa
- THAAD news met by DPRK missile launches
- DPRK top leader guides ballistic rocket test-firing
- Turkey's failed coup to further consolidate Erdogan's power
- Boris Johnson says UK not abandoning leading role in Europe
- Armed man attacked passengers on a train in Germany