Shanghai pilots smart manhole covers
Updated: 2016-10-13 12:26
Shanghai is piloting intelligent manhole covers in Jiading district to prevent accidents caused by missing manhole covers following reports of victims falling into manholes after the covers had been stolen or washed away by floods, Eastday.com reported on Thursday.
Equipped with a sensor, the smart manhole covers can detect when a cover is open and monitor water levels in the manhole.
Once a cover is tilted at a certain angle or the water level exceeds a certain level, the sensor will be triggered and send automatic alerts to a management platform.
On receiving alerts, the platform will locate the specific manhole and send maintenance staff to attend to the issue.
Intelligent covers have been trialled on two streets in Jiading district.
The report said smart manhole covers are economical and convenient, so can be installed across a large area.
- Hollande, Merkel, Putin discuss how to implement Minsk peace deal
- Pentagon vows to respond to attempted missile attacks at US destroyer near Yemen
- NASA to invite private companies to install modules on space station
- Trump accused of inappropriate touching by two women
- White House denounces terror attacks in Afghanistan
- Republican voters frown on party establishment's criticism of Donald Trump