Guangzhou Evergrand defends Chinese Super League title
Updated: 2012-10-28 13:37
Guangzhou Evergrande players celebrate their second CSL title by raising their Italian coach Marcello Lippi, top, after beating Liaoning Hongyun 1-0 in Guangzhou, Guangdong province, Oct 27, 2012. [Photo/CFP]
GUANGZHOU - Guangzhou Evergrande defended its Chinese Super League (CSL) title on Saturday after beating Liaoning Hongyun 1-0 at home in the penultimate round.
Evergrande's head coach Marcello Lippi said after the game he was "very happy" to add a Chinese league title to his five Italian Serie A titles.
"This is very special because it is the first time I have won the league overseas and it is good to do it in China which is a great country," said the 64-year-old who led Italy to win the World Cup in 2006.
The big-spending Evergrande has also reached the final of China's FA Cup, which will be played over two legs next month.
Meanwhile, Henan Jianye became the first team to be relegated after losing 1-0 to Dalian Shide.
- Guangzhou Evergrande edged out of AFC Champions league
- Cleo wants to leave Guangzhou Evergrande
- CFA Cup: Evergrande takes upper hand
- Evergrande looking over shoulder instead of ahead
- No offers for Conca, says Evergrande
- Guangzhou Evergrande denies Kaka move
- More foreigners, but only for Evergrande
- Lippi off to winning start at Evergrande
- Evergrande's revolving door
- Lippi replaces Lee Jang-soo to take rein of Guangzhou Evergrande
- Evergrande reaches last 16 in AFC Champions league thriller
- It's Evergrande or bust
- 'Taken 2' grabs movie box office crown
- Rihanna's 'Diamonds' tops UK pop chart
- Fans get look at vintage Rolling Stones
- Celebrities attend Power of Women event
- Ang Lee breaks 'every rule' to make unlikely new Life of Pi film
- Rihanna almost thrown out of nightclub
- 'Dark Knight' wins weekend box office
- 'Total Recall' stars gather in Beverly Hills
Supplies pour into isolated villages
All-out efforts to save lives
Industry savior: Big boys' toys
Liaoning: China's oceangoing giant
Today's Top News
Health new priority for quake zone
Xi meets US top military officer
Japan's boats driven out of Diaoyu
China mulls online shopping legislation
Bird flu death toll rises to 22
Putin appoints new ambassador to China
Japanese ships blocked from Diaoyu Islands
Inspired by Guan, more Chinese pick up golf