Lin Dan gets wild card for world championships
Updated: 2013-05-13 14:25
KUALA LUMPUR - China's badminton star Lin Dan has been given a wild card for this year's world championships to be held in Guangzhou in August, the Badminton World Federation said on Thursday.
Lin's world ranking has dropped to 41th after his eight-month break since winning gold at last year's Olympics, meaning he was not eligible for an automatic spot.
"Exercising its prerogative to nominate a wildcard entry in each category, the COM (committee of management) determined the 29-year-old's stature and fan appeal would significantly enhance the championships," the Badminton World Federation said in a statement.
"This was the only wildcard awarded."
Lin, a four-time world champion and two-time Olympic champion, returned to competition at the Asia Championships last month but pulled out in the quarterfinals due to an arm injury.
- China strives for fifth straight Sudirman Cup: coach
- Ambassador Lin Dan: sport more than medals
- Lin Dan eyes Olympic hat-trick
- Lin Dan may be fined $20K for missing matches
- Lin Dan explains how he got degree
- Lin Dan receives master's, eyes Rio Olympics
- Lin Dan marries in a match made in heaven
- Lin Dan's A-list wedding to be held Sept 23
- 'Taken 2' grabs movie box office crown
- Rihanna's 'Diamonds' tops UK pop chart
- Fans get look at vintage Rolling Stones
- Celebrities attend Power of Women event
- Ang Lee breaks 'every rule' to make unlikely new Life of Pi film
- Rihanna almost thrown out of nightclub
- 'Dark Knight' wins weekend box office
- 'Total Recall' stars gather in Beverly Hills
Pumping up power of consumption
From China with love and care
From the classroom to the boardroom
Schools open overseas campus
Domestic power of new energy
Clearing the air
Today's Top News
Shenzhou X astronaut gives lecture today
US told to reassess duties on Chinese paper
Chinese seek greater share of satellite market
Russia rejects Obama's nuke cut proposal
US immigration bill sees Senate breakthrough
Brazilian cities revoke fare hikes
Moody's warns on China's local govt debt
Air quality in major cities drops in May
Geared to go
The place to be