Guangdong defended men's basketball title at Games
Updated: 2013-09-12 17:38
Players greet each other after the men's basketball final between Guangdong and Liaoning at the National Games in Shenyang, Sept 12, 2013. [Photo/Xinhua]
SHENYANG - Guangdong successfully defended their men's basketball title at the Chinese National Games, outgunning hosts Liaoning 69-63 on Thursday.
The match featured a star-packed field with both teams lining up national team players including former NBA player Yi Jianlian and Mengke Bateer.
The hosts lost touch outside of the three point line, earning no points from 13 attempts before guard Zhang Qingpeng buried the first three-pointer for Liaoning with 7 minutes, 22 seconds left on the clock.
Entering the final quarter with a 12-point deficit, Liaoning had a 10-0 run to narrow the gap to two points. Guangdong forward Zhu Fangyu stood out to carry the team on his shoulder, sinking in two straight three-pointers to extend the lead.
The 30-year-old Zhu scored a match-high 25 points including five three-pointers, four years after he collected 40 points in Guangdong's gold-winning victory against Shandong at last Games. Yi added 10 points and three rebounds for Guangdong while point guard Wang Shipeng also grabbed 10 points.
National team guard Guo Ailun scored a team-high 15 points and assisted for five times. Center Han Dejun pocketed 14 while Zhang scored 11 points including all the three three-pointers for the hosts in the fourth quarter.
- Holders China ousted of Asian Basketball Championships
- Defending China suffers second defeat at Asian basketball championship
- China lose to Iran at Asian basketball championship
- Shadow cast on China's bid to defend Asian basketball champion
- Sun Yang wins fifth gold at National Games
- Sprinter Zhang wins second gold at China's National Games
- Former Olympic champion Liao Hui win gold at National Games
- National Games in dire need of reform
- Victoria Beckham S/S 2014 presented during NYFW
- 'Despicable' minions upset Depp's 'Lone Ranger' at box office
- 'Taken 2' grabs movie box office crown
- Rihanna's 'Diamonds' tops UK pop chart
- Fans get look at vintage Rolling Stones
- Celebrities attend Power of Women event
- Ang Lee breaks 'every rule' to make unlikely new Life of Pi film
- Rihanna almost thrown out of nightclub
Cure sought for the medical sector's ills
Africa looks to the Orient for lessons
Hanban shops around for a wider choice
Righting the wrongs of patent rights
Today's Top News
Can China withstand global funds shifts?
China Daily Asia Weekly wins media award
Report questions US firms pursuing cloud computing in China
Reducing poverty gains momentum in Asia
China turns to US sorghum for animal feed
China's global firms face 'trust gap'
Li stresses transformation of economy
US delivers weapons to Syrian rebels
Geared to go
The place to be