Guangzhou Evergrande closes in on spot in Asian final
Updated: 2013-09-26 09:03
KASHIWA, Japan - Guangzhou Evergrande took a step toward a place in the Asian Champions League final by coming from a goal down to beat Japanese club Kashiwa Reysol 4-1 in the first leg of ACL semifinals at the Hitachi Kashiwa Soccer Stadium Wednesday.
Cleo put Kashiwa ahead in the first half but four second-half goals for the Chinese visitors put them in control ahead of the second leg of the semifinals in Guangzhou on Oct 2.
Muriqui scored twice, Dario Conca added another and an own-goal by Kim Chang-soo completed the scoring for Evergrande, which is coached by Italian veteran Marcello Lippi.
The winner will face either FC Seoul or Iranian club Esteghlal in the final. FC Seoul beat Esteghlal 2-0 in the first leg.
Evergrande is the first Chinese team in the semifinals since Shenzhen Jianlibao made it that far in 2005.
Cleo, who is on loan from Guangzhou, was credited with giving Kashiwa the lead in the 10th minute following a free kick by Jorge Wagner.
Muriqui claimed his 10th of the tournament when he leveled in the 58th minute and Conca moved the Chinese champions ahead for the first time in the 67th.
An 82nd-minute own-goal by Kim and a stoppage-time strike by Muriqui means Kashiwa must win by four clear goals at Tianhe Stadium next week to become the first Japanese side to reach the final since Gamba Osaka won the title in 2008.Lippi eyes breakthrough in AFC Champions League
- Lippi rules out China coach position
- Guangzhou Evergrande agrees Barrios move to Spartak Moscow
- Guangzhou Evergrande to face Lekhwiya of Qatar in ACL quarters
- Evergrande denies default on Barrios' payments
- Mariners goes down to Evergrande in AFC Champions League
- Evergrande, again, into AFC quarterfinals
- Evergrande on top after tough fight with Mariners
- Star-studded Guangzhou Evergrande wary of Australian Mariners
- Guangzhou Evergrande advances into knockout stage despite loss, expulsion
- Guangzhou Evergrande close to ACL final 16
- Lippi stays alert upon crucial matches in AFC Champions league
- Victoria Beckham S/S 2014 presented during NYFW
- 'Despicable' minions upset Depp's 'Lone Ranger' at box office
- 'Taken 2' grabs movie box office crown
- Rihanna's 'Diamonds' tops UK pop chart
- Fans get look at vintage Rolling Stones
- Celebrities attend Power of Women event
- Ang Lee breaks 'every rule' to make unlikely new Life of Pi film
- Rihanna almost thrown out of nightclub
Nurses embark on journey to the West
Fundamental challenges still remain
Watchdog bites with no favor
Africa looks to the Orient for lessons
Righting the wrongs of patent rights
Today's Top News
UN resolution on Syria's chemical weapons urged
Death toll rises to 328 in SW Pakistan's quake
China gaining market share in military drones
Taipei, LA and Singapore top travel search list
China builds pilot free trade zone to further open up
China reduces intervention and facilitates business
Xi promotes 'mass line' campaign
Youth short on safe sex awareness
Geared to go
The place to be