China fails to repeat glory at Hong Kong Open
Updated: 2013-11-23 15:14
HONG KONG - Chinese badminton team failed to repeat their five-gold-wrapping success at the Hong Kong Open last year as Wang Zhengming failed to reach men's singles semifinals here on Friday.
Chai Biao and Hong Wei, the only Chinese pair left in men's doubles event, also lost in the quarterfinals and let the gold slipped away from Chinese team's pocket.
Wang became the only Chinese player left in men's singles event after Wednesday's first round as defending champion Chen Long walked over due to injury and other three teammates failed to reach the second round. In Friday's quarterfinals, Wang beat fifth-seeded Tommy Sugiarto 21-17 in the first game but quickly lost the second one at 9-21. Wang still couldn't find the right way to fight back and lost the deciding set 12-21.
"I didn't play very well since the second game. I'm not in my best condition for recently as I played too many matches," said Wang. "Yesterday I finished my match almost midnight but I have to play early today. Anyway, the problems are all mine."
In men's doubles, Chai Biao/Bao Yixin converted three match points to beat South Korean and No 4 seed Kim Ki-Jung/Kim Sa-Rang 22-20 in the second game to tie the score 1-1 but still lost the match after losing the final game 18-21.
"We had too many unforced errors," said Hong Wei. "It's the quarterfinals. Win or loss is not a surprise for anyone."
As the defending champion of women's singles event, Li Xuerui of China was surprisingly defeated by Thailand's Porntip Buranaprasertsuk in two games within 40 minutes. But China still took two places in the Saturday's semifinals. Wang Shixian beat Germany's Juliane Schenk at 21-16, 21-16 while Wang Yihan won an all-Chiniese match against Han Li.