Egypt's new parliamentary speaker welcomed by China
Updated: 2016-01-12 21:31
China welcomes the election of a new speaker of the Egyptian parliament, Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said on Tuesday.
Egypt's new parliament convened for the first time and elected Ali Abdel-Al as its speaker on Sunday.
"China welcomes and congratulates the establishment of the new Egyptian parliament and the election of a new speaker in its first plenary session, which is an indication of a smooth conclusion of Egypt's political transition," said Hong.
China, which enjoys "traditional friendship" with Egypt, supports the latter's exploration of a development path that suits its national conditions and its efforts to maintain stability, develop economy and improve people's lives, said Hong.
- A glimpse of Spring Rush: little migrant birds on the way home
- Policy puts focus on genuine artistic students
- Police unravel market where babies are bought, sold as commodities
- More older pregnant women expected
- Netizen backlash 'ugly' Spring Festival Gala mascot
- China builds Mongolian language corpus
- 2 Chinese nationals killed, 1 injured in suspected bomb attack in Laos
- New York, Washington clean up after fatal blizzard
- 'Plane wreckage' found in Thailand fuels talk of missing Malaysian jet
- Washington shuts down govt, NY rebounds after blizzard
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap