Iran, EU announce implementation of nuclear deal as sanctions lifted
Updated: 2016-01-17 11:14
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif (R) and EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini attend a press conference in Vienna, Austria, Jan 16, 2016. [Photo/Xinhua]
VIENNA - The European Union (EU) and Iran on Saturday announced the "implementation day" of the historic nuclear deal, which marks victory of diplomacy and the milestone of the Iranian nuclear crisis.
Verified by the UN nuclear agency, Iran has done all the steps to address world concerns in scaling back its nuclear plan, including freezing much of its nuclear material production, which could be used to build nuclear bombs.
"Today, I released a report confirming that Iran has completed the necessary preparatory steps to start the implementation of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action," International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Director General Yukiya Amano said in a statement.
Iran also promises to provide more transparency of its nuclear program, letting the UN nuclear inspectors be able to monitor Tehran's atomic plan.
Under the deal this progress would trigger a comprehensive relief of the nuclear related sanctions imposed on Tehran simultaneously by the United States, the EU and UN security council, especially the oil embargo.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini jointly made an announcement of the implementation day of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), the historic nuclear deal reached last July.
- A glimpse of Spring Rush: little migrant birds on the way home
- Policy puts focus on genuine artistic students
- Police unravel market where babies are bought, sold as commodities
- More older pregnant women expected
- Netizen backlash 'ugly' Spring Festival Gala mascot
- China builds Mongolian language corpus
- 2 Chinese nationals killed, 1 injured in suspected bomb attack in Laos
- New York, Washington clean up after fatal blizzard
- 'Plane wreckage' found in Thailand fuels talk of missing Malaysian jet
- Washington shuts down govt, NY rebounds after blizzard
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap