Fudan medical student's body sent for autopsy
Updated: 2013-04-18 01:58
By WANG HONGYI in Shanghai (China Daily)
The body of a Fudan University medical student was sent for an autopsy on Wednesday to confirm the cause of his death.
Huang Yang, 28, died on Tuesday from multi-organ failure 15 days after he drank water laced with a toxic chemical. His roommate, surnamed Lin, is suspected of poisoning Huang with N-Nitrosodimethylamine, a highly toxic chemical that can damage the livers.
Classmates of Huang Yang, a medical student who died after drinking water laced with a toxic chemical, mourn his death at Zhongshan Hospital in Shanghai on Wednesday. ZHANG RUILIN / FOR CHINA DAILY
Huang's father has agreed to the autopsy, according to Xinhua News Agency.
"Huang's mother has almost fallen apart. She keeps crying these days and cannot accept it," said Wang Zhiwei, Huang's high school classmate who has been with Huang's parents since he became ill, on Wednesday.
Huang's relatives have come to Shanghai from their hometown in Sichuan province. Two lawyers have already come to talk to Huang's parents, Wang said.
"Because the investigation by local police has not finished, it has not been decided what to do next," he said.
Born in 1985, Huang grew up in an impoverished family in Rongxian county in Zigong, Sichuan province. He is the only child of parents who were laid off from State-owned enterprises when he was in high school.
His mother suffered a chronic disease and lost the ability to work. Huang's father took care of the whole family through doing odd jobs, according to West China City News.
The young man enrolled at Fudan University, one of the top schools in Shanghai, in 2005 with excellent scores. Over the past few years, Huang paid his mother's medical bills through a work-study program at the university. Only recently, he scored the highest in an exam for doctoral study.
Huang's classmates are collecting money to aid his parents.
"We have collected more than 40,000 yuan ($6,480) from Huang's high school alumni since he first became ill. Hopefully it can provide some help," said Zhou Xu, another of Huang's classmates.
Meanwhile, students at Fudan University are also donating to Huang's family.
"Huang's case has been a bombshell in our hometown in Sichuan province. Local government officials have visited Huang's home. They said they would try what they can to help Huang's parents," Zhou said.
The case has also drawn much attention at the university.
"I have been at the medical school for 50 years. It's the first time I have seen such a case," said Wu Gencheng, a Fudan University professor.
"Medical schools should strengthen their moral education. In addition to training medical skills, students should also be cultivated with kindness and love," he said.
Medical student dies after suspected poisoning
Poisoned student in critical condition
College student poisoned; roommate suspected
College student found dead in campus toilet
- In Photos: 7.0-magnitude quake hits Sichuan
- Premier heads for quake-hit zone in Sichuan
- Li Na on Time cover, makes influential 100 list
- FBI releases photos of 2 Boston bombings suspects
- World's wackiest hairstyles
- Sandstorms strike Northwest China
- Never-seen photos of Madonna on display
- H7N9 outbreak linked to waterfowl migration
Industry savior: Big boys' toys
Liaoning: China's oceangoing giant
TCM - Keeping healthy in Chinese way
Poultry industry under pressure
Today's Top News
Live report: Hundreds feared dead or injured in M7.0 Sichuan quake
Boston suspect cornered on boat
Cross-talk artist helps to spread the word
'Green' awareness levels drop in Beijing
Palace Museum spruces up
First couple on Time's list of most influential
H7N9 flu transmission studied
Trading channels 'need to broaden'