President Xi arrives in Macao for 15th anniversary celebrations
Updated: 2014-12-19 13:12
MACAO - Chinese President Xi Jinping arrived in Macao on Friday noon for celebrations marking the 15th anniversary of Macao's return to the motherland.
Xi, also general secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and chairman of the Central Military Commission, will also attend the inauguration of the fourth-term government of the Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) scheduled on Saturday.
Upon arrival at the Macao International Airport, Xi and his wife Peng Liyuan were greeted by SAR Chief Executive Chui Sai On and his wife Fok Waifun, and two Macao pupils who presented bouquets to them.
They shook hands with Ho Hau Wah, vice chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference and former chief executive of the Macao SAR.
Amid a tune of welcome played by the Macao Police Band, the smiling president waved to hundreds of representatives from various walks of life and school children holding national flags and Macao SAR flags to greet him.
- Putin says Russian economy will rebound
- S.Korea won't conduct F-35 fighter maintenance in Japan
- India launches unmanned crew module into outer space with heaviest rocket
- Two missing after Chinese ship grounded near Oki islands
- Two people missing after China fishing boat grounded near Japan's Shimane
- 2014 marked by peaceful transfer of power in Afghanistan