Blocking VPN is for Internet safety: Official
Updated: 2015-01-27 11:49
By Gao Yuan(chinadaily.com.cn)
China's moves to block virtual private network services are for the "healthy development" of the Internet, a top official from the industry watchdog said on Tuesday.
"The rapid development of Internet is forcing the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) to use new ways to maintain cyber security and steady operation," said Wen Ku, director of telecom development at the MIIT.
"The country needs new methods to tackle new problems ... the development of Internet has to be in accordance with Chinese law," Wen added.
Last week, VPN providers Astrill, StrongVPN and Golden Frog all claimed disruptions in their services in the Chinese mainland.
- Zhang Mo gets six months, 5000 yuan fine for drug use
- High abortion rate triggers fears for young women
- Disabled woman uses her feet to care for husband
- Blocking VPN is for Internet safety: Official
- Commit suicide and call fortune teller: how graft accused met investigators
- China vows an end to gold medal 'obsession'