Beijing to adopt new residential permit system in October
Updated: 2016-08-11 22:19
BEIJING - Beijing will introduce a new temporary residence permit system on Oct.1, local authorities said on Thursday.
People who stay in Beijing for over six months with a stable job, residence or in full-time education will be able to apply for the permit at public security bureaus. The permit will be issued in about 15 days, according to the provisional regulation announced on Thursday.
Permit holders will be entitled to many of the benefits enjoyed by permanent residents.
Beijing's permanent population has exceeded 20 million, more than twice that of London or New York. Permanent Beijing residents enjoy better educational opportunities, employment support, senior citizen benefits and social welfare.
Previously, temporary residential permits came with almost no rights or benefits.
- Nepal's newly elected PM takes oath
- Texas gun law worries incoming students
- China vows to deepen economic, trade cooperation with ASEAN
- Fire guts Emirates jet after hard landing; 1 firefighter dies
- Egypt's Nobel-laureate scientist dies of illness in US
- THAAD muscle flexing unmasks anxiety over declining hegemony