Take a glimpse into soccer-related gifts of Xi
Updated: 2016-10-12 11:55
By Wu Yan(chinadaily.com.cn)
Du Wei (L) of China plays against Denilson of Brazil in a group game of 2002 FIFA World Cup in Seogwipo, South Korea, June 8, 2002. It is the first and only time that China made it to the World Cup finals. [Photo/IC]
"Three wishes" for Chinese soccer
In July 2011, Xi expressed his "three wishes" for Chinese soccer after receiving a soccer ball autographed by South Korean footballer Park Ji-sung during his meeting with Sohn Hak-kyu, leader of South Korea's main opposition Democratic Party.
Xi's three wishes were: "To qualify for World Cup finals again, host the games and win the prestigious tournament."
In February 2012, Xi watched the Los Angeles Lakers' game against the Phoenix Suns before wrapping up his visit to the US. The Lakers gave Xi a No 1 jersey bearing his name on the back and a pair of shoes autographed by Kobe Bryant. Soccer star David Beckham also gave Xi an autographed jersey.
- Hollande, Merkel, Putin discuss how to implement Minsk peace deal
- Pentagon vows to respond to attempted missile attacks at US destroyer near Yemen
- NASA to invite private companies to install modules on space station
- Trump accused of inappropriate touching by two women
- White House denounces terror attacks in Afghanistan
- Republican voters frown on party establishment's criticism of Donald Trump