Chen Kaige appointed dean of film academy in Shanghai
Updated: 2015-07-06 14:33
Shanghai University marked the creation of its new film academy and the appointment of Chinese director Chen Kaige, Palme d'Or winner of the 1993 Cannes Film Festival, as its dean in a ceremony on July 5.
"I vow that I will not be a nominal dean; if so, please make me step down," Chen said at the inaugural ceremony, promising that he definitely will "go into the classroom and teach".
Chen said he will spare no effort in building the academy into a competent, world-renowned professional film academy that trains elites in the film industry.
"I hope that graduates from here will be proud to say that, 'We are modern youth with individual thinking, with humanist consciousness, practical ability and rational compassion'," Chen said in his speech.
He also said he hopes that "students who study there can think freely, have their very own ability to be creative, and make greater contributions to the Chinese film industry".
As to why Chen Kaige stood out as the best candidate for the position, university President Luo Hongjie said it's because Chen is quite responsible.
- Veterans mark the beginning of the War of Resistance against Japanese Aggression
- Dalai Lama's 80th birthday celebrations politicized: expert
- Broadcasting cooperation strengthened along Belt and Road
- 14 dead in East China shoe factory collapse
- Four dead, 48 injured as earthquke hits Xinjiang
- Beijing's PM2.5 density markedly lower
- Injured ROK tourists in intensive care
- 36 dead, 26 missing after banca capsized in C. Philippines
- Thai navy plans to buy three Chinese subs
- Mass casualties in Indonesian military plane crash
- Japan's LDP lawmaker denounces Abe's security policies
- More than 100 feared dead in Indonesian military plane crash