China's domestic animated films see 78.6% box-office surge: report
Updated: 2016-04-29 09:55
A scene from Monkey King: Hero is Back. [Photo/Mtime]
A total of 57 animations were screened in China, including 43 domestic productions, and ticket sales amounted 4.4 billion yuan, up 45 percent year on year, according to the report on China's animated film industry.
Monkey King: Hero Is Back, which made a record 950 million yuan, topped China's domestic film box office chart.
Fourteen foreign animations were screened in China last year, or one fourth of the total number. However, they pulled in 2.4 billion yuan, more than half of the box office revenue for animated movies.
There were 33,700 screens across China by the first quarter of this year. This year is regarded as important time for China's film industry, especially for animations, with box office revenue expected to surpass 6 billion yuan, according to the report.
Related:Animators urged to do more for Chinese box office
- UN urges DPRK to stop 'further provocative action'
- China stresses Putin's expected visit
- British FM visits Cuba for 1st time since 1959
- Trump attacks Clinton on gender, risking backlash from women
- Pirate radio poses surprising challenge in internet age
- DPRK's Musudan missile launch appears to have failed