Getafe coach Contra to take over Guangzhou Fuli
Updated: 2014-12-19 12:51
Cosmin Contra speaks at a press conference on this March 11, 2014 file photo. [Photo/IC]
BEIJING - Getafe coach Cosmin Contra will take over Guangzhou R&F for the 2015 season, the Chinese Super League club has announced.
Guangzhou Fuli said in a statement on Thursday that the 39-year-old Romanian will arrive the southern Chinese city soon to ink the contract.
Contra, a former footballer who played mainly as a right back, will replace former England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson, who led Guangzhou R&F to a third-place finish last season but decided last month to move to club Shanghai East Asia.
Guangzhou R$F also said that it had agreed to sign Valencia midfielder Michel, who has been on loan at Getafe.
Gontra took over Getafe in March this year. Under his reign, Getafe won four games, lost four and had three draws to finish 14th last season. The most impressive match was a 2-2 tie against Barcelona. The Madrid-based club is currently 13th in La Liga.