Death toll of Indonesia's landslide reaches 79
Updated: 2014-12-17 15:18
JAKARTA - Rescuers have discovered 79 bodies in a landslide in Banjarnegara district of Indonesia's Central Java and are searching for at least 29 others who remain missing, officials said here on Wednesday.
Five people were still undergoing treatment at a nearby hospital for their serious wounds and nine others suffered from minor injuries, Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman of Indonesia's National Disaster Management Agency, told Xinhua by phone.
The actual number of missing people could exceed 29 as scores of vehicles and people were passing through a road at Jemblung village when the landslide occurred, another official of the agency has said.
The number of internally displaced persons stood at 1,308 on Wednesday, down from 1,886 on Monday, said Sutopo.
The official urged the public to be on alert of other possible landslides as more rain is expected in the next few weeks.
The disaster has hit 150 houses, more than 105 units as previously reported, another official at the agency said.