Queen Elizabeth II surpasses Queen Victoria's long reign
Updated: 2015-09-09 09:27
Britain's Queen Elizabeth sits in her private audience room in Buckingham Palace next to one of her official red boxes in which she receives documents and papers from government officials in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth in this handout photograph taken by Mary McCartney and released September 8, 2015 in London, to mark the moment she becomes Britain's longest reigning monarch. [Photo/Agencies]
LONDON - Queen Elizabeth II has reached a major milestone by becoming the longest-reigning monarch in Britain's history.
She passes Queen Victoria, her great-great-grandmother, who was on the throne for 63 years and 7 months.
Prime Minister David Cameron said Wednesday that millions on Britons would celebrate the queen's "historic moment".
"Over the last 63 years, Her Majesty has been a rock of stability in a world of constant change and her selfless sense of service and duty has earned admiration not only in Britain, but right across the globe," Cameron said.
"It is only right that today we should celebrate her extraordinary record, as well as the grace and dignity with which she serves our country."
Buckingham Palace marked the event by releasing an official photograph of the queen taken by Mary McCartney, a photographer who is the daughter of former Beatle Paul McCartney.
Elizabeth came to the throne in 1952 upon the death of her father King George VI. She was touring a remote part of Kenya when news of her father's death arrived.
Her official coronation came the following year and was one of the first major public events to be televised in Britain.
The 89-year-old monarch has cut back on her international travel and has lightened her work load somewhat, but she still carries out many royal duties.
- The life and long reign of Queen Elizabeth II
- Huge street party to mark 90th birthday of Queen Elizabeth
- Queen Elizabeth to unveil EU referendum plans
- Britain celebrates Queen Elizabeth II 's 89th birthday
- Queen Elizabeth II names new cruise ship 'Britannia'
- Fifth coin portrait of Queen Elizabeth II unveiled
- Russian military experts present in Syria
- Norway PM says Norwegian citizen taken hostage in Syria
- Hungarian TV journalist fired for tripping up fleeing migrants
- Leaders from EU, Russia, Ukraine to meet in Paris in Oct
- Music is food for the soul for young Chinese violinist
- Australia's Tasmania, China agree to 'work together' on Antarctic expeditions
- Greedy panda eats ten boxes of honey
- Soldiers in Sansha guard the islands
- Dunhuang heritage still alive in new age
- Bigger iPad announced at Apple 'monster' event
- World's largest mural on a giant rooftop
- Starry Night: Van Gogh in Beijing
- Dog rescue leads to self-stabbing
- Serena vs Venus: Sibling rivalry as usual
8 highlights about V-day Parade
Glimpses of Tibet: Plateaus, people and faith
Chinese entrepreneurs remain optimistic despite economic downfall
50th anniversary of Tibet autonomous region
Tianjin explosions: Deaths, destruction and bravery
Cinemas enjoy strong first half
Today's Top News
Inside look at Apple's newly-launched products
Peking Opera performance thrills NY
Chinese man, daughter arrested in alleged marriage scam
China's CPI up 2% in August
Hillary Clinton's lead eroded by Joe Biden's surge in poll
Apple TV comes with 'apps'; big iPad aimed at business
China aims to be first to land on far side of moon
Renowned scroll painting unrolled at the Palace Museum
Geared to go
The place to be