China strongly supports Palestinian people, peace process: Mideast envoy
Updated: 2016-02-01 00:41
The Belt and Road Initiative can play an important role in restoring the economies of the Middle East and promoting social stability, he said.
The Belt and Road Initiative, or the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road, an ambitious vision Xi put forward in 2013, aims to boost inter-connectivity and common development along the ancient land and maritime Silk Roads.
Gong wrapped up his two-day visit to Palestine on Sunday. During his stay in Ramallah, he met with Saeb Erekat, Palestinian chief negotiator and secretary general of Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) executive committee, Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah, Foreign Minister Riad Al-Malki and Abbas Zaki, a member in Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas Fatah Party's Central Committee.
Palestinian leaders expressed their thanks for China's support for the Palestinian cause in fields of politics, technical training as well as financial aid, and welcomed the convening of an international peace conference, with the participation of permanent members of the UN Security Council, including China.
They said that the Palestinians believe that Chinese President Xi's visit to the Middle East has historic meanings.
- Students must learn safety education, experts say
- 73 bodies recovered from rubble of Shenzhen landslide
- Chinese travelers lead 2015 global outbound tourism
- S Korea to issue 10-year visa to highly-educated Chinese tourists
- A glimpse of Spring Rush: little migrant birds on the way home
- Policy puts focus on genuine artistic students
- Negotiating political transition in Syria 'possible': Hollande
- At least three killed in light plane crashes in Australia
- BOJ further eases monetary policy, delays inflation target
- DPRK may have tested components of hydrogen bomb
- Goodwill sets tone at Wang, Kerry's briefing
- Obama picks new Afghan commander