Political advisors brainstorm on poverty relief
Updated: 2016-06-23 10:43
BEIJING - China's senior political advisors met Wednesday to discuss poverty alleviation.
Yu Zhengsheng, chairman of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) National Committee, attended the meeting.
Vice Premier Wang Yang delivered a report, in which he stressed the need for precise, accurate data on those below the poverty line.
Authorities should design accurate, targeted measures to ensure food, clothing, basic education, housing and medical care for the poor, Wang said.
An appraisal and inspection mechanism should established to make sure that local governments implement the central policies in this regard.
He also said the environment in the poverty-hit areas should be protected as local authorities strive to develop these areas.
Political advisors also discussed various issues concerning poverty relief in panel discussions. Yu, who is also a member of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, attended the panels.
The central authority should take "extraordinary measures" and use the full strength of the Party and society to fight poverty, political advisors proposed.
They also put forward suggestions on preferential policies for residents of border areas, increased poverty relief funds, improved health facilities and the selection and promotion system for officials in poverty-hit regions.
- US Ambassador to China Baucus says he is a 'WeChat nut'
- Classes inspired by ancient arts offer moral teachings
- School's artificial grass found to be highly toxic
- Agency lists tiny hallway for sale: 1.5 million yuan
- Armed police mend gap in E China river defenses
- Over 90% Chinese netizens access news on mobile phones: report
- US urged not to rock the boat by flexing its muscles
- UK's EU referendum polls show 'Leave', 'Remain' tied up
- DPRK yet to confirm suspected missile launches
- Chinese panda expert concerned by sick panda in US
- British MPs pay tribute to murdered MP Jo Cox
- DPRK deploys Musudan ballistic missile in east coast