Muangthong United eyes first AFC win in Guangzhou
Updated: 2013-04-03 13:35
GUANGZHOU, South China - Thai League champions Muangthong United are aiming their first victory in AFC Champions League despite encountering group leaders Guangzhou Evergrande on Wednesday.
"We know Guangzhou are very strong. They have sharp attackers like Conca and Muriqui, so tomorrow's match will be tough for us. But we have our own ideas to win the match," Slavisa Jokanovic, who guided Muangthong to regain Thai league champions after an unbeaten season.
Muangthong continued their impressive run in domestic league as they are enjoying a four-match winning streak in Thai Premier League. However, they were knocked to bottom of the group after losing 4-1 to Urawa Reds.
Despite their Thai league rival Buriram's stunning victory at Guangzhou last year, Thai clubs had lost all five previous away games they played against the Chinese sides.
"Buriram gave everyone a surprise here last year, that will provide us some hints to do better in tomorrow's match. I know they have a good coach and have good players, but if they take for granted, that will be good news for us," the 44-year old coach said.
Lippi stays alert upon crucial matches in AFC Champions league
- Evergrande fully focused on mission in Thailand
- It's Evergrande or bust
- Evergrande reaches last 16 in AFC Champions league thriller
- Hard road to AFC title for Guangzhou Evergrande
- Tough AFC Champions League draw for Guangzhou Evergrande
- Evergrande chasing title despite tough draw
- Guangzhou Evergrande ready to make major splash
- 'Taken 2' grabs movie box office crown
- Rihanna's 'Diamonds' tops UK pop chart
- Fans get look at vintage Rolling Stones
- Celebrities attend Power of Women event
- Ang Lee breaks 'every rule' to make unlikely new Life of Pi film
- Rihanna almost thrown out of nightclub
- 'Dark Knight' wins weekend box office
- 'Total Recall' stars gather in Beverly Hills
Industry savior: Big boys' toys
Liaoning: China's oceangoing giant
TCM - Keeping healthy in Chinese way
Poultry industry under pressure
Today's Top News
Boston bombing suspect reported cornered on boat
7.0-magnitude quake hits Sichuan
Cross-talk artist helps to spread the word
'Green' awareness levels drop in Beijing
Palace Museum spruces up
First couple on Time's list of most influential
H7N9 flu transmission studied
Trading channels 'need to broaden'