Guangzhou Evergrande to face Lekhwiya of Qatar in ACL quarters
Updated: 2013-07-12 07:57
KUALA LUMPUR - Chinese Super League champions Guangzhou Evergrande need to overcome Lekhwiya from Qatar in the AFC Champions League (ACL) quarterfinals to continue its pursuit for the Asian football club title.
Guangzhou Evergrande, under World Cup-winning coach Marcello Lippi, returned to the ACL quarterfinals for the second consecutive year after a comprehensive victory over Australia's Central Coast Mariners by 5-1 on aggregate in Round of 16.
Its Brazilian striker Muriqui now leads the tournament's scoring sheet with eight goals.
Guangzhou became a formidable force in Asian football after taken over by real estate tycoon Xu Jiayin in 2010. The team now consists of the backbone of Chinese national teams, supplemented by some big names like playmaker Dario Conca from Argentina and Paraguayan striker Lucas Barrios.
The Chinese team is eyeing the ACL title after winning all major titles in home country. It made a decent debut at the Champions League last year but was stormed out in the quarterfinals after a 4-5 aggregate loss to Al Ittihad of Saudi Arabia.
Guangzhou will play Lekhwiya at home on Aug 21 for the first leg of the quarterfinal before heading to Qatari capital of Doha for the second round.
Speaking after the drawing ceremony at AFC house in Kuala Lumpur on Thursday, Lekhwiya manager Ahmad Khalil admitted that Guanzhou is a strong team, but he vowed for a fight against the Chinese champion.
Lekhwiya topped Group B at the group stage before defeating Saudi side Al Hilal by 3-2 on aggregate in the round of 16.
If Guangzhou make through the quarterfinal, it will face the winner between Al Shabab of Saudi Arabia and Japanese team Kashiwa Reysol in the semifinal.
Meanwhile, last year's runner-up Al Ahli of Saudi Arabia will face Korean champions FC Seoul while Iranian giants Esteghlal will face Buriram United from Thailand in the other two quarterfinals.
- Evergrande denies default on Barrios' payments
- Mariners goes down to Evergrande in AFC Champions League
- Evergrande, again, into AFC quarterfinals
- Evergrande on top after tough fight with Mariners
- Star-studded Guangzhou Evergrande wary of Australian Mariners
- Guangzhou Evergrande advances into knockout stage despite loss, expulsion
- Guangzhou Evergrande close to ACL final 16
- Guangzhou Evergrande ready to make major splash
- Evergrande chasing title despite tough draw
- Tough AFC Champions League draw for Guangzhou Evergrande
- Hard road to AFC title for Guangzhou Evergrande
- Double joy for Evergrande
- Guangzhou Evergrande ties Guizhou Renhe in CFA Cup final
- 'Despicable' minions upset Depp's 'Lone Ranger' at box office
- 'Taken 2' grabs movie box office crown
- Rihanna's 'Diamonds' tops UK pop chart
- Fans get look at vintage Rolling Stones
- Celebrities attend Power of Women event
- Ang Lee breaks 'every rule' to make unlikely new Life of Pi film
- Rihanna almost thrown out of nightclub
- 'Dark Knight' wins weekend box office
5th China-US S&ED
Coming to a screen near you
Hospital ship lends a helping hand
Elderly willpower gets a boost
Pain lingers after Xinjiang attack
Today's Top News
US, China conclude 5th round of strategic talks
China, Russia consider increasing naval drills
2 pilots called for Asiana to abort landing
Increased cooperation brings benefits
Japanese defense report lashed out
China's astronauts ready for challenge
Top GSK executives investigated
Lifesaving top priority, premier says
Geared to go
The place to be