Sun Yang dominates, Ye Shiwen rebounds in National Games' pool
Updated: 2013-09-05 10:26
Sun Yang celebrates after winning the men's 400m freestyle final at the National Games in Shenyang, Liaoning province, Sept 4, 2013. [Photo/Xinhua]
SHENYANG - China's swimming star Sun Yang dominated the men's 400-meter freestyle at the National Games on Wednesday while Ye Shiwen seemed back on track with a 400m individual medley title.
Sun, Olympic and world champion in the 400m free, led all the way to win the title for Zhejiang in three minutes and 43.68 seconds, about two seconds slower than his winning time at the Barcelona FINA World Championships this July, but still a world second fastest time this year.
Hao Yun of Hebei trailed in 3:44.87, ranked sixth in the world this year, while Henan's Li Yunqi finished third in 3:48.17.
"I am excited with the gold medal, because four years ago I was the runner-up in 400m," said the 21-year-old, who finished after veteran Zhang Lin in the event at the 11th National Games. "Now I win the 400m at the National Games, Olympic Games and World Championships."
"It's only three weeks since the Barcelona Worlds and I am tired, so the result is Ok to me," said Sun.
The distance freestyle specialist, who claimed the men's 400m, 800m and 1,500m gold medals at the Barcelona World Championships, is seeking breakthroughs in short distance as he will compete for the title of the 100m freestyle.
"I will try my best in every event," said Sun, who will also compete in the 200 and 1,500m free as well as three relays. "But I have so many events here, I have to focus on my majors. I don't expect to win the 100m."
Sun Yang competes during the men's 400m freestyle final at the National Games in Shenyang, Liaoning province, Sept 4, 2013. [Photo/Xinhua]
More stories about Sun Yang:
Sun Yang and ex-coach to bury the hatchet
Sun Yang defends 800 meters freestyle title at worlds
Sun Yang takes gold in 400m freestyle
Olympic star Sun Yang gears up in Barcelona
Sun Yang looks for form ahead of swimming worlds
Sun Yang wins first match after reuniting with coach
- Sun Yang, Ye Shiwen named Sports Personality of Year
- Weightlifting world record surpassed in National Games
- National Games plagued by scandal
- Olympic champ wins judo gold at National Games
- Lin Dan leads PLA into National Games semis
- National Games: Pictures of the day on Sept 3
- Veteran Zhang secures bronze on her swansong match at National Games
- Economical national games served the people well
- China's 12th National Games opens in Shenyang
- Thrown match casts shadow on rugby
- Beijing rugby team faces penalty for match-throwing
- Beijing rugby team throws final game
- 'Despicable' minions upset Depp's 'Lone Ranger' at box office
- 'Taken 2' grabs movie box office crown
- Rihanna's 'Diamonds' tops UK pop chart
- Fans get look at vintage Rolling Stones
- Celebrities attend Power of Women event
- Ang Lee breaks 'every rule' to make unlikely new Life of Pi film
- Rihanna almost thrown out of nightclub
- 'Dark Knight' wins weekend box office
China's G20 role
Sidestep the rush of modern life
A county famous for the ages
Tin city explores economic shift
Righting the wrongs of patent rights
Today's Top News
Bank of America finally exits CCB
S. Korea a model for innovation: experts
Xi, Putin meeting to focus on 'mega projects'
US divided over Syria attack
Ex-railway deputy chief pleads guilty
Deal ensures supplies of natural gas
Writers sue Apple for compensation
Campaign launched against child abuse
Geared to go
The place to be