Lippi u-turn with Evergrande contract extension
Updated: 2014-02-28 17:54
Marcello Lippi, coach of China's Guangzhou Evergrande, speaks during a news conference ahead of the Club World Cup, in Agadir December 16, 2013. Guangzhou Evergrande will play their Club World Cup semi-final soccer match against Germany's Bayern Munich on December 17, 2013. [Photo/Agencies]
Marcello Lippi is reportedly going to sign a further three-year contract to coach Guangzhou Evergrande.
Earlier this month, Evergrande chairman Liu Yongzhuo revealed that he went to Morocco during the Club World Cup last year trying to persuade the 65-year-old to extend the deal.
"He has helped Evergrande and Chinese football achieve very good results and we hope such a great coach can continue to work with us," Liu said. But Lippi declined, saying he would go home for some rest.
"I would be very sorry if he leaves. It's him who brought me here (from Bologna) and I hope he could stay," Evergrande's Alessandro Diamanti said after making his debut in a 4-2 win over Melbourne Victory in the first group match of this year's Asian Champions League on Wednesday.
He scored twice to change the course of the game after Evergrande had trailed 2–0 at half-time.
Former Italy coach Lippi will extend his contract from Dec 1, 2014 to Nov 30 2017.
"We believe that the world-class champion coach Marcello Lippi will help Evergrande to consolidate its leading position, train more Chinese football stars, and promote the technical innovation of Chinese football," Liu said.