Lippi to stay in China until 2017
Updated: 2014-03-03 17:24
GUANGZHOU - Marcello Lippi has signed a new three-year with Chinese super league club Guangzhou Evergrande, the club officially announced on Friday.
The 65-year old Italian and his coaching team will remain in China until the end of 2017, said the club.
The club said the salary of the coaching team remains as much as the last contract, which is reportedly up to 10 million euros.
"Lippi agreed to take a pay cut in the next three years, but the club refused to decrease his salary," said a club official who required anonymity.
Former assistant coach Maddaloni Massimiliano will be the team's executive coach, and Pezzotti Narciso will be the new assistant coach, according to the club.
The club had offered Lippi a new contract last December in Morocco, where Asian champions Guangzhou were competing in FIFA Club World Cup. Lippi declined the offer, however.
"Lippi said he decided to leave earlier because he felt tired because the 2013 season was extremely long for us," said Liu Yongzhou, president of Guangzhou Evergrande.
Liu said Lippi finally signed his name on the contract on Tuesday, the day before Guangzhou's trilling 4-2 win over Melbourne Victory in the AFC Champions league.
"Actually Lippi has already got used to life in Guangzhou and he likes here. We understand his hesitation and would like to remove some burden off him. He nominated Massimiliano as the executive coach, and we soon reached the agreement," said Liu.
The day also witnessed the announcement of new Chinese national soccer team coach, Alain Perrin, whose contract details were kept as a secret by the Chinese Football Association.
- Lippi u-turn with Evergrande contract extension
- Lippi's Guangzhou Evergrande desire for winning start in ACL
- Lippi aiming to depart in blaze of glory
- Marcello Lippi to leave Guangzhou club
- Lippi plans to be realistic against Guardiola's Bayern
- Lippi confident with Guangzhou's opener
- Lippi the toast of China after ACL title
- Lippi hails progress of Chinese soccer
- Diamanti inspires Evergrande winning start in AFC Champions League
- Gorgeous Liu Tao poses for COSMO magazine
- Post-baby Duchess
- Victoria Beckham S/S 2014 presented during NYFW
- 'Despicable' minions upset Depp's 'Lone Ranger' at box office
- 'Taken 2' grabs movie box office crown
- Rihanna's 'Diamonds' tops UK pop chart
- Fans get look at vintage Rolling Stones
- Celebrities attend Power of Women event
Deputies persevere on winding road to change
Landing scare grounds homemade planes
Scientists search for clear answers on smog
Safeguarding China's sunken riches
Banknote buys new vision of history
Death of panda spurs concerns
Today's Top News
US halts military engagements with Russia
First Lady to visit China in March
Terrorists in Kunming attack busted
Gravity, Slave Oscar winners
2014 the year of the Chinese IPO?
China making progress on fighting pollution: experts
Michigan benefits from ties with Chinese
Detroit toasts all time high in China trade
Geared to go
The place to be