Messi unable to attend court trial due to injury
Updated: 2016-06-01 09:52
MADRID - FC Barcelona' s player Lionel Messi did not attend a court trial that started on Tuesday in Barcelona due to an injury, local media reported on Tuesday.
Barcelona's Lionel Messi gestures during a Spanish Super Cup second leg soccer match against Athletic Bilbao at Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona, Spain August 17, 2015. [Photo/Agencies]
Messi sustained an injury on his back in Argentina's game against Honduras last Friday.
He would be appearing on Thursday along with his father to testify. His mother and wife of those accused and other three witnesses did not appear either.
Spain' s tax office made 20 inspections during the two-year investigation and both Messi and his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, are accused of defrauding 4.1 million euros from 2007 to 2009.
Messi is one of the world' s highest-earning sportsmen, he has scored 314 goals and has five Ballon d' Or titles.
- Chinese navy ships in Tanzania share counter-piracy experience
- Some 13,000 migrants saved, over 700 dead in a week
- ROK says DPRK appears to have failed in 4th Musudan missile test-launch
- White House lifts lockdown after suspicious package scare
- Chinese G20 presidency 'ambitious' in seeking solutions for global growth: OECD official
- UNICEF alarmed at refugee, migrant deaths in Mediterranean