White House lifts lockdown after suspicious package scare
Updated: 2016-05-31 09:11
US Secret Service members block Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House in Washington during a security lock down, US, May 30, 2016. [Photo/Agencies]
WASHINGTON - The White House has resumed normal operations after being partly on lockdown due to a suspicious package thrown over its north fence earlier on Monday, a NBC news report said.
A woman allegedly throwing the package was immediately taken into custody and currently under the investigation, local reports said.
The incident happened at around 12:15 pm eastern time, a few minutes after US President Barack Obama arrived at the White House following a visit to Arlington National Cemetery where he attended a Memorial Day service and placed a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknowns.
This is the second time the White House has been on lockdown this month. On May 20, a man brandishing a weapon was shot down by US Secret Service near an outer perimeter checkpoint of the White House, leaving the compound closed for nearly one hour.
- Some 13,000 migrants saved, over 700 dead in a week
- ROK says DPRK appears to have failed in 4th Musudan missile test-launch
- White House lifts lockdown after suspicious package scare
- Chinese G20 presidency 'ambitious' in seeking solutions for global growth: OECD official
- UNICEF alarmed at refugee, migrant deaths in Mediterranean
- 35% of northern and central Great Barrier Reef destroyed