Contacts of HK's 1st H7N9 case tested free of virus
Updated: 2013-12-03 22:21
Hong Kong - 17 close contacts of the Indonesian woman involved in Hong Kong's first confirmed H7N9 case have tested negative for the virus, Hong Kong's Secretary for Food& Health Ko Wing-man said on Tuesday.
Ko said that the Center for Health Protection has so far traced more than 200 people that may be associated with the case, including the 17 close contacts.
The close contacts include the domestic helper's employer, family members, patients in her Tuen Mun Hospital ward, and a friend who traveled with her to Shenzhen last month.
Ko said the helper is receiving intensive care at Queen Mary Hospital and her condition remains critical. Those not showing symptoms will be sent to the Lady MacLehose Holiday Village in Sai Kung for medical surveillance.
Infection control measures are being enhanced at hospitals, live chicken stalls in markets, chicken farms, and boundary checkpoints, he said, adding the government will monitor developments.
Hong Kong confirmed on Monday its first case of H7N9 bird flu as a 36-year-old Indonesian domestic helper, who has been hospitalized and is in critical condition. The patient had contact with poultry while traveling to Shenzhen.