China trials new air defense missile system
Updated: 2014-09-10 11:33
China Central Television (CCTV) aired a footage showing Chinese military's drills with its newly-developed FD-2000 air defense missle system. [Photo/CCTV]
The Chinese military has conducted practice drills with its newly-developed FD-2000 air defense missile system.
It has demonstrated its capability of locking onto and shooting down moving targets over a long distance.
Shen Zhongfang, a missile expert from China Aerospace Science and Industry Corp. (CASIC), talks about the FD-2000.
"The radar helps us to deal with multiple targets. As one of the most important pieces of equipment for long-ranged air strikes, the phased array radar is able to monitor 100 targets in the air, and launch strikes to eight targets threatening our defense simultaneously."
The missiles have omnidirectional capabilities, able to turn in the air after launch.
"They can fly forward or backward, to the left or to the right. To what extent can a missile cover, I'd say 49,000 square kilometers for a single missile."
The FD-2000 was designed and manufactured by China Precision Machinery Import and Export Corporation. The drill was held in China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.
- Fund tries to keep talented students in hometown
- Last emperor's cousin criticizes dramas for distorting history
- From rustic to chic: Chinese dama inspires intl designers
- A classy thank you for China's teachers
- Dance students step up for military training
- Dancing dragon fires up Mid-Autumn Festival celebrations