Air pollution dominates complaints to environmental ministry
Updated: 2015-10-12 17:38
BEIJING - The Ministry of Environmental Protection received 696 public tip-offs about pollution in the first half of the year, more than 75 percent of them about air pollution, it said on Monday.
Others involved water, noise and waste pollution, according to a ministry statement.
All the complaints were lodged through telephone hotline 12369.
The ministry said its investigation confirmed problems in 497 of the reported cases. Companies found responsible received punishments ranging from warnings to suspension, closure and fines.
The industries subject to most complaints were chemicals, non-metallic mineral processing, metal smelting and processing, the ministry said.
- Air pollution dominates complaints to environmental ministry
- WHO calls for stricter curbs on tobacco promotion in China
- Pilot risks own life to save others after plane's engine fails
- Palace Museum's western part opens for first time in 90 years
- Suspect of fishing boat murder caught in E China
- 'Queen of Ivory' faces charge in Tanzania