Chinese Buddhism's birthplace remains a place of pilgrimage
Updated: 2016-01-11 08:03
By Xu Lin(China Daily)
A stream with an ancient rock inscription beside it at the Shiliang Scenic Area in Tiantai county, Zhejiang province..[Photo provided to China Daily]
The street isn't far from the 666-hectare Lotus Terraced Fields.
The proximate Shantouzheng village hosts more than 20 dilapidated buildings that are 70 to 100 years old.
The settlement hopes investors will renovate them into boutique hotels. Six have been rented out for this, and the first repurposed house, Tingsong Building, opened in October.
This could contribute to a revival of Tiantai as a destination, by bringing more explorers and pilgrims to the site hailed for its natural and supernatural splendor.
If you go
Visitors can drive or take travel buses from Zhejiang province's Hangzhou, Ningbo or Taizhou.
- Obama says US must act on gun violence, defends new gun control rules
- Over 1 million refugees have fled to Europe by sea in 2015: UN
- Turbulence injures multiple Air Canada passengers, diverts flight
- NASA releases stunning images of our planet from space station
- US-led air strikes kill IS leaders linked to Paris attacks
- DPRK senior party official Kim Yang Gon killed in car accident
- Creative designs create splash in Shanghai art center
- Amazing ice wonderland in Beijing
- Special report: Rise and rise of China's outbound tourism
- Trial data of former senior Party officials on display
- Replica of luxurious chariot from ancient times wows Xi'an visitors
- Number of giant pandas in China reaches 422
- Attendees feel the thrill of tech at CES trade show
- Vivid dough sculptures welcome Year of the Monkey
8 highlights about V-day Parade
Glimpses of Tibet: Plateaus, people and faith
Chinese entrepreneurs remain optimistic despite economic downfall
50th anniversary of Tibet autonomous region
Tianjin explosions: Deaths, destruction and bravery
Cinemas enjoy strong first half
Today's Top News
Shooting rampage at US social services agency leaves 14 dead
Chinese bargain hunters are changing the retail game
Chinese president arrives in Turkey for G20 summit
Islamic State claims responsibility for Paris attacks
Obama, Netanyahu at White House seek to mend US-Israel ties
China, not Canada, is top US trade partner
Tu first Chinese to win Nobel Prize in Medicine
Huntsman says Sino-US relationship needs common goals
Geared to go
The place to be