DPRK senior party official Kim Yang Gon killed in car accident
Updated: 2015-12-30 09:14
PYONGYANG - Kim Yang Gon, a senior party official of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), was killed in a car crash Tuesday, the official news agency KCNA reported Wednesday morning.
Before his death, Kim Yang Gon, 73, served as director of the United Front Department and secretary of the Central Committee of the ruling Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), two important posts. He became a member of the political bureau of the WPK Central Committee since February 2015.
The DPRK state media spoke highly of the life of Kim Yang Gon, hailing him as a "loyal revolutionary warrior" of the DPRK's late leaders Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il and the "closest comrade-in-arms" of top leader Kim Jong Un.
The KCNA said though Kim has died, his exploits will become a legacy for long.
A state funeral committee has been set up, which is chaired by top leader Kim Jong Un. A state funeral procession will be held Thursday morning.
- US-led air strikes kill IS leaders linked to Paris attacks
- DPRK senior party official Kim Yang Gon killed in car accident
- Former Israeli PM Olmert's jail term cut, cleared of main charge
- Japan, S. Korea reach deal on 'comfort women'
- More than 70 killed in Nigeria bombings, suicide attacks
- Argentina issues orange alert for heat wave