Shanghai Disney Resort to open on June 16
Updated: 2016-01-13 07:51
Cartoon characters Mickey and Minnie are seen at the launching ceremony of the creative landscapes of Shanghai Disneyland Resort in Shanghai, July 15, 2015. [Photo/Xinhua]
SHANGHAI - Shanghai Disney Resort will officially open and welcome its first guests on June 16, the Walt Disney Company and Shanghai Shendi Group announced Wednesday.
The resort will host a spectacular welcoming ceremony for the first group of tourists, part of a multi-day grand opening celebration, according to the developers.
Construction of the resort, the sixth of its kind worldwide, started in 2011 with an investment of 34 billion yuan ($5.5 billion).
The Shanghai Disney Resort will feature attractions unseen in five other Disney resorts worldwide, including ones based on Marvel comics and Star Wars, and others inspired by Chinese culture, according to a previous plan.
- A glimpse of Spring Rush: little migrant birds on the way home
- Policy puts focus on genuine artistic students
- Police unravel market where babies are bought, sold as commodities
- More older pregnant women expected
- Netizen backlash 'ugly' Spring Festival Gala mascot
- China builds Mongolian language corpus
- 2 Chinese nationals killed, 1 injured in suspected bomb attack in Laos
- New York, Washington clean up after fatal blizzard
- 'Plane wreckage' found in Thailand fuels talk of missing Malaysian jet
- Washington shuts down govt, NY rebounds after blizzard
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap