Three more arrested for fatal Shenzhen landslide
Updated: 2016-01-19 09:31
SHENZHEN - Three more suspects implicated in the collapse of a construction waste pile that killed 69 people in Shenzhen last month were arrested on Monday, according to the local procuratorate.
The suspects, who were not identified, were accused of failing to ensure safety management, which eventually led to the major accident, according to a statement from Bao'an District Procuratorate.
So far 20 people have been arrested over the incident on Dec 20.
Meanwhile, 12 other suspects are being investigated by local prosecutors for abuse of power and dereliction of duty, the Supreme People's Procuratorate (SPP) said Monday.
The suspects include Deng Zhixiong, deputy director of Shenzhen Guangming New District Urban Management Bureau; Zeng Keting, deputy director of the Municipal Service Center; and Zheng Cunhui, engineer with Shenzhen Water and Soil Conservation Supervision and Monitoring Station, according to the statement.
A total of 69 bodies have been recovered as of Friday, another eight people are still unaccounted for, the rescue headquarters said.
The incident was the result of work safety mismanagement rather than geological causes, according to a State Council investigation.
- A glimpse of Spring Rush: little migrant birds on the way home
- Policy puts focus on genuine artistic students
- Police unravel market where babies are bought, sold as commodities
- More older pregnant women expected
- Netizen backlash 'ugly' Spring Festival Gala mascot
- China builds Mongolian language corpus
- 2 Chinese nationals killed, 1 injured in suspected bomb attack in Laos
- New York, Washington clean up after fatal blizzard
- 'Plane wreckage' found in Thailand fuels talk of missing Malaysian jet
- Washington shuts down govt, NY rebounds after blizzard
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap