Blast in firework factory leaves one dead, 48 injured
Updated: 2016-01-20 11:20
By Liu Wei(Xinhua)
Fire and smoke rise from the accident site. [Photo/IC]
NANCHANG - Three people were confirmed dead and another one remains missing after blasts swept a fireworks plant in East China's Jiangxi province early on Wednesday, according to local authorities.
Fifty-three injured people are being treated in hospital.
The first blast ripped through a workshop of Hongsheng fireworks factory in Kunshan village, Guangfeng district, Shangrao city at around 0:30 a.m. Wednesday, said the city's emergency management office. Several blasts followed.
Rescuers have managed to pull out 21 people who were trapped in the dormitory area of the plant and sent them to hospital. More than 1,000 people nearby were evacuated to safe areas after the blasts.
Shock waves damaged some villagers' homes. Xinhua reporters saw sporadic minor blasts at the scene at 8 a.m..
The plant and all other 31 fireworks in Yangkou Township of Guangfeng have production permits. The executives of the plant were under the custody by police for investigation.
The Guangfeng area boasts a history of more than 300 years in fireworks production.
The local rescue headquarters will work out a plan to help those whose homes were damaged sustain the upcoming freezing cold weather.
Jiangxi is forecast to embrace the coldest weather since 1992 between Jan. 23 and 26, with temperatures in mountainous areas plunging to minus 13 to 11 degrees Celsius.
The blast shattered a window. [Photo from Sina Weibo]
- A glimpse of Spring Rush: little migrant birds on the way home
- Policy puts focus on genuine artistic students
- Police unravel market where babies are bought, sold as commodities
- More older pregnant women expected
- Netizen backlash 'ugly' Spring Festival Gala mascot
- China builds Mongolian language corpus
- 2 Chinese nationals killed, 1 injured in suspected bomb attack in Laos
- New York, Washington clean up after fatal blizzard
- 'Plane wreckage' found in Thailand fuels talk of missing Malaysian jet
- Washington shuts down govt, NY rebounds after blizzard
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap