China on yellow alert for strong cold wave
Updated: 2016-01-21 20:15
BEIJING - China's national observatory on Thursday issued a yellow alert for a strong cold front, which will bring temperature drops and strong wind to the country's northern, central and eastern regions.
Starting Thursday night, temperatures in these areas could drop by 14 degrees Celsius, with Anhui, Zhejiang, Fujian and Guangdong provinces to see record low temperatures, said the National Meteorological Center (NMC).
The cold air will move south in the next three days, bringing strong wind to regions along the Yangtze River and North China Plain, the NMC said.
China has a four-tier warning system for severe weather, with red being the most serious, followed by orange, yellow and blue.
- A glimpse of Spring Rush: little migrant birds on the way home
- Policy puts focus on genuine artistic students
- Police unravel market where babies are bought, sold as commodities
- More older pregnant women expected
- Netizen backlash 'ugly' Spring Festival Gala mascot
- China builds Mongolian language corpus
- 2 Chinese nationals killed, 1 injured in suspected bomb attack in Laos
- New York, Washington clean up after fatal blizzard
- 'Plane wreckage' found in Thailand fuels talk of missing Malaysian jet
- Washington shuts down govt, NY rebounds after blizzard
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap