In Hebei, workers' way blocked by snow
Updated: 2016-01-22 15:38
By Zhang Yu and Wang Wei in Shijiazhuang(chinadaily.com.cn)
Workers are stuck in buses heading for Xibaipo Power Plant in Pingshan county due to heavy snowfall on Jan 22, 2016. [Photo provided to China Daily]
Heavy snowfall slowed commutes around Hebei province on Friday, including buses loaded with hundreds of workers that were stalled outside the gates to a closed expressway.
Li Ran, a power plant worker in Shijiazhuang, the capital of Hebei province, said she was stuck for hours in a bus headed for Xibaipo Power Plant in Pingshan county. There were at least 15 buses in a similar predicament, she said.
"It's been four hours, and I am still here blocked on roads deep in snow, " said Li, who had left home about 6:40 on Friday morning.
In addition to snow, strong winds also invaded the province, driving temperatures down to some of the coldest days of the winter. The Hebei Provincial Meteorological Bureau issued a cold alert on Thursday, predicting temperatures for most cities would fall by about 8 degrees until Sunday.
Temperatures in Bashang, north of Hebei, typically the coldest place in the province, were to drop to minus 38 C.
- A glimpse of Spring Rush: little migrant birds on the way home
- Policy puts focus on genuine artistic students
- Police unravel market where babies are bought, sold as commodities
- More older pregnant women expected
- Netizen backlash 'ugly' Spring Festival Gala mascot
- China builds Mongolian language corpus
- 2 Chinese nationals killed, 1 injured in suspected bomb attack in Laos
- New York, Washington clean up after fatal blizzard
- 'Plane wreckage' found in Thailand fuels talk of missing Malaysian jet
- Washington shuts down govt, NY rebounds after blizzard
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap