Beijing shut down over 1,000 factories over past 5 years
Updated: 2016-01-22 13:43
BEIJING -- Beijing has closed 1,006 manufacturing and polluting enterprises over the past five years, the municipal government revealed Friday.
In addition, 228 markets were also closed over the period, Beijing Mayor Wang Anshun said in a government work report presented during the city's annual parliamentary session, which opened Friday.
More than 13,000 applications for new businesses have also been rejected because they were on the list of prohibited or restricted operations, Wang said.
Beijing had closed or relocated nearly 400 polluting factories in 2014 and another 300 in 2015, previous figures show.
- A glimpse of Spring Rush: little migrant birds on the way home
- Policy puts focus on genuine artistic students
- Police unravel market where babies are bought, sold as commodities
- More older pregnant women expected
- Netizen backlash 'ugly' Spring Festival Gala mascot
- China builds Mongolian language corpus
- 2 Chinese nationals killed, 1 injured in suspected bomb attack in Laos
- New York, Washington clean up after fatal blizzard
- 'Plane wreckage' found in Thailand fuels talk of missing Malaysian jet
- Washington shuts down govt, NY rebounds after blizzard
- 7 policemen, 3 civilians killed in Egypt's Giza blast
- Former US Marine held in Iran arrives home after swap