Tough strut from world's factory to fashion empire
Updated: 2016-03-25 13:56
Sailing up value chain
At Luojiaji, Wan Suli is another veteran entrepreneur who is determined to establish a valued brand.
With 20 years sewing Starbucks logos and NBA sports shirts, Wan established her own brand Fengyitianxia (meaning The Majestic Phoenix) to sell traditional Qipao dresses for ladies. In the last three years, she spent 40 million yuan marketing the brand.
"They all say I'm crazy, spending money like that. My annual sales are only 60 million yuan," Wan said. "But I believe in the multiplying power of brand".
Her designer lady gowns cost 4,000 yuan (about $615) a piece and a hand-embroidered customized design can fetch 100,000 yuan (about $15,290).
Last year, selling designer gowns contributed to 20 percent of her sales. However, Wan's branding efforts have been challenged by the current economic difficulties such as cash shortage.
"The materials vendor said I had to pay cash, and I don't have that much cash, because we usually collect the payment several months after the delivery," said Wan. She had to turn down 90 percent of the gown orders in the last few months.
"The minimal period for a brand to establish itself is five years. I believe I will survive," she looked optimistic.
- Garment market near zoo closing, moving to Hebei province
- Garment firm shifts its focus to robotics
- Annual Garment and Textile Fair opens in Dalian
- Technology is more than a fashion trend for firms in garment city
- Victoria's Secret to open annual garment show in Dalian
- Wuxi garment tycoons on Forbes wealth list
- Replica of ancient plain silk gauze garment on exhibit in Nanjing
- China to help boost Xinjiang's textile and garment sectors
- APEC honors Suzhou silk garment maker with medal
- First lady Peng Liyuan leads fight against tuberculosis
- Faces at Boao Forum for Asia Annual Conference
- In photos: Lunar eclipses visible in eastern China
- Chinese chasing Spring blossoms around the country
- Migrant couple returns to hometown to raise chickens
- Victims of Brussels attacks commemorated
- In photos: Brussels rocked by multiple explosions
- Raul Castro and Obama hold talks in Havana
Anti-graft campaign targets poverty relief
Cherry blossom signal arrival of spring
In pictures: Destroying fake and shoddy products
China's southernmost city to plant 500,000 trees
Cavers make rare finds in Guangxi expedition
Cutting hair for Longtaitou Festival
Today's Top News
Marriott unlikely to top Anbang offer for Starwood: Observers
Chinese biopharma debuts on Nasdaq
What ends Jeb Bush's White House hopes
Investigation for Nicolas's campaign
Will US-ASEAN meeting be good for region?
Accentuate the positive in Sino-US relations
Dangerous games on peninsula will have no winner
National Art Museum showing 400 puppets in new exhibition
Geared to go
The place to be