Military talks to look at maritime issues
Updated: 2016-05-24 11:30
By Wang Qingyun in Beijing(China Daily USA)
Beijing and Washington are scheduled to begin a new round of military maritime dialogue a week after an encounter between military aircraft over the South China Sea - a move analysts said will help the two countries manage their differences in the region.
Analysts also said China should discuss Washington's reconnaissance over the South China Sea and demand that the United States rein in its intrusive behavior.
The next Military Maritime Consultative Agreement talks are scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday in Hawaii, Josh Earnest, the White House press secretary, told a news briefing on Thursday.
The meeting stems from an arrangement under a procedure of consultation that China and the US launched in 1998 to ensure bilateral maritime military security.
It also comes after recent incidents involving the US military in the South China Sea.
(China Daily USA 05/24/2016 page1)
- Wildfires continue to rage in Russia's Far East
- Eiffel Tower to become rental apartment for first time
- US lifts arms embargo on Vietnam
- At least 17 schoolgirls killed in boarding-house fire in N Thailand
- Russia to build first cruise liner in 60 years
- LinkedIn, Airbnb match refugees with jobs, disaster survivors with rooms