Eiffel Tower to become rental apartment for first time
Updated: 2016-05-23 11:24
A night view shows the Eiffel tower, reflected on a car's roof, in Paris, France, April 30, 2016. [Photo/Agencies]
PARIS - Visitors to the Eiffel tower now have a chance to stay for a night in the iconic landmark, something that was never available since its opening in 1889.
Rental company HomeAway said it was taking over part of the first floor of the 300-meter latticework for the duration of the UEFA Euro 2016 football tournament slated for June 10 in Paris, and transforming it into Hausmannian-style living quarters.
The competition opened on Thursday for the chance to stay in the famous structure. For lucky winners, each with up to five guests, will be able to spend a night on the first level, about 52 meters above the ground.
"HomeAway is excited to offer this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to spend a whole night in our luxury Eiffel Tower Apartment," the company said on its website.
Prospective tower tourists can register by giving personal information and suggesting "What would you do if the Eiffel Tower Apartment was all yours for the night?"
The elevated apartment is under construction, with French designer Benoit Leleu in charge of the particulars.
The Eiffel tower has attracted more than 250 million visitors so far.
- Wildfires continue to rage in Russia's Far East
- Eiffel Tower to become rental apartment for first time
- US lifts arms embargo on Vietnam
- At least 17 schoolgirls killed in boarding-house fire in N Thailand
- Russia to build first cruise liner in 60 years
- LinkedIn, Airbnb match refugees with jobs, disaster survivors with rooms
- Striking photos around the world: May 16 - May 22
- Robots help elderly in nursing home in east China
- Hanging in the air: Chongqing holds rescue drill
- 2.1-ton tofu finishes in two hours in central China
- Six things you may not know about Grain Buds
- China Beijing International High-tech Expo
- Highlights at Google I/O developers conference
- Nation celebrates International Museum Day
Anti-graft campaign targets poverty relief
Cherry blossom signal arrival of spring
In pictures: Destroying fake and shoddy products
China's southernmost city to plant 500,000 trees
Cavers make rare finds in Guangxi expedition
Cutting hair for Longtaitou Festival
Today's Top News
Liang avoids jail in shooting death
China's finance minister addresses ratings downgrade
Duke alumni visit Chinese Embassy
Marriott unlikely to top Anbang offer for Starwood: Observers
Chinese biopharma debuts on Nasdaq
What ends Jeb Bush's White House hopes
Investigation for Nicolas's campaign
Will US-ASEAN meeting be good for region?
Geared to go
The place to be