Wildfires continue to rage in Russia's Far East
Updated: 2016-05-23 16:48
VLADIVOSTOK, Russia - A large tract of area was destroyed in Russia's Far East region over the past 24 hours as wildfires continued to rage, the local forestry department reported on Monday.
"Amur region registered the most fires in the Far East Federal District... 60 wildfires swallowed 15,800 hectares over the past 24 hours in Russia's Far East region," it said.
By Monday morning, 19 fires had been extinguished and 41 fires are burning, including 27 fires in the Amur region and 13 in Khabarovsk.
Russia has reported 810 wildfires in its Far East regions so far this year, far more than the 626 wildfires reported in the same period of last year.
A state of emergency was declared in the Amur region earlier this month due to the spreading of wildfires.
- Wildfires continue to rage in Russia's Far East
- Eiffel Tower to become rental apartment for first time
- US lifts arms embargo on Vietnam
- At least 17 schoolgirls killed in boarding-house fire in N Thailand
- Russia to build first cruise liner in 60 years
- LinkedIn, Airbnb match refugees with jobs, disaster survivors with rooms
- Striking photos around the world: May 16 - May 22
- Robots help elderly in nursing home in east China
- Hanging in the air: Chongqing holds rescue drill
- 2.1-ton tofu finishes in two hours in central China
- Six things you may not know about Grain Buds
- China Beijing International High-tech Expo
- Highlights at Google I/O developers conference
- Nation celebrates International Museum Day
Anti-graft campaign targets poverty relief
Cherry blossom signal arrival of spring
In pictures: Destroying fake and shoddy products
China's southernmost city to plant 500,000 trees
Cavers make rare finds in Guangxi expedition
Cutting hair for Longtaitou Festival
Today's Top News
Liang avoids jail in shooting death
China's finance minister addresses ratings downgrade
Duke alumni visit Chinese Embassy
Marriott unlikely to top Anbang offer for Starwood: Observers
Chinese biopharma debuts on Nasdaq
What ends Jeb Bush's White House hopes
Investigation for Nicolas's campaign
Will US-ASEAN meeting be good for region?
Geared to go
The place to be