Bridge of Spies, Carol head BAFTA shortlist
Updated: 2016-01-12 09:47
A still shot from Carol. [Photo/Mtime]
Both films picked up nine nominations each, pipping The Revenant on eight nominations and the latest in the Max Max franchise, Mad Max: Fury Road which picked up seven nominations.
Chinese martial arts movie The Assassin, directed by Hou Hsiao-Hsien, is nominated as best film not in the English language and faces competition from four other films.
Last year's best actor winner, British actor Eddie Redmayne, is nominated again this year for The Danish Girl, while his co-star Alicia Vikander is nominated twice: as best actress for The Danish Girl and best supporting actress for Ex Machina. Other best actor nominees are Bryan Cranston (Trumbo), Leonardo DiCaprio (The Revenant), Mat Damon (The Martian) and Michael Fassbender (Steve Jobs).
Competing with Vikander for best actress are Cate Blanchett (Carol), Saoirse Ronan (Brooklyn), Brie Larson (Room) and Maggie Smith (The Lady in the Van).
The movies nominated in the best films category are: The Big Short; Bridge of Spies; Carol; The Revenant; Spotlight. The directors of the first four of those films were also nominated in the best director category.
Adam Mckay (The Big Short), Spielberg (Bridge of Spies), Todd Haynes (Carol), Alejandro G. Inarritu (The Revenant) were joined by Ridley Scott for The Martian to complete the nominations.
The awards will be presented at a ceremony at the Royal Opera House in London on Feb 14.
'The Revenant' and 'The Martian' big Golden Globe winners
- Spain's Princess Cristina stands trial on tax fraud charges
- Rupert Murdoch, Jerry Hall announce engagement
- Obama to deliver final State of the Union speech
- Annual Coming of Age Day ceremony held in Tokyo
- Drug lord closer to US trial as Mexico starts extradition process
- UN chief slams deadly attack on MSF-supported hospital in Yemen
- Messi wins unprecedented fifth Ballon d'Or
- Photo studio takes people back in time
- Celebrities born in the Year of Monkey
- Remembering legendary British artist David Bowie
- 'The Revenant' and 'The Martian' big Golden Globe winners
- The world in photos: Jan 4 - 10
- Creative designs create splash in Shanghai art center
- Amazing ice wonderland in Beijing
8 highlights about V-day Parade
Glimpses of Tibet: Plateaus, people and faith
Chinese entrepreneurs remain optimistic despite economic downfall
50th anniversary of Tibet autonomous region
Tianjin explosions: Deaths, destruction and bravery
Cinemas enjoy strong first half
Today's Top News
Obama to deliver final State of the Union speech
Shooting rampage at US social services agency leaves 14 dead
Chinese bargain hunters are changing the retail game
Chinese president arrives in Turkey for G20 summit
Islamic State claims responsibility for Paris attacks
Obama, Netanyahu at White House seek to mend US-Israel ties
China, not Canada, is top US trade partner
Tu first Chinese to win Nobel Prize in Medicine
Geared to go
The place to be